Google Search

Google
 

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

My Vista Preium Review - Day 1


So yesterday, my wife and I got our first look at Windows Vista Premium SP1 via our new Dell Inspiron 1525s'. I have shown the hardware specs as well as they tend to be pertinent when it comes to how well Vista runs.

Hardware:

Inspiron 1525, Intel Core 2 Duo T5550, 1.83GHz, 667Mhz, 2ML2 Cache
1GB, DDR2, 667MHz 2 Dimm
15.4 inch Wide Screen WXGA LCDTrueLife for Inspiron 1525
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100
120G 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition, English
DELL RESOURCE DVD,BACK-UP INSP 1525
Icon Consolidation Application
Vista, PC-Restore, Dim/Insp
DELL SUPPORT CENTER 2.0
Media Direct 3.5
Integrated 10/100 Network Card
Integrated 56K Modem
ADOBE ACROBAT READER 8.1 DIM/INSP
8X DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Drive
Roxio Creator DE 10
Integrated High Definition Audio 2.0
Dell Wireless 1395 802.11g Mini Card,for Insp 1525
Integrated 2.0M Pixel Webcam
Creative Earbud EP630
Software for Integrated 2.0M Pixel Webcam
56 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery, for Inspiron 1525
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor
DataSafe Online Dim/Ins/XPS
DataSafe Online Dim/Ins/XPS 1YR-FREE
Insp Datasafe 3GB,1YR(Incl in price),DHS
Overall Rating (Day 1): 3.0 / 5.0

In General: As far as first impressions go, I was impressed with the visual effects, such as the Aero Glass, and desktop layout. The desktop looks similar, but better, than the traditional XP desktop. The sidebar widgets are a nice touch, but I am not sure how truly useful they will be. The Dual Core processor seems to hum along quite nicely and makes large tasks seem relatively easy.

The Good: Aside from the before mentioned look and feel of the desktop, there are several features that make this version of Vista a good OS. The instant on wireless manager (via the side sliding switch) makes wireless network monitoring pretty easy. Also, connecting to the wireless network was pretty easy, at least for my wife's laptop. for me it took a few tries.

The network connections folder has been replaced with a "network control panel" of sorts. Although this is nice to keep related tasks together, it does not clarify how to do some basic tasks (i.e., set up a local network or home office network.)

Speed; I was surprised at how quick things ran, installed and un-installed on Vista. This could be based on the processor or the fact that I have little installed on the machine. I installed Microsoft's' Visual Web Developer 2008 Express quickly and easily without issue.

The Bad: As I stated earlier, my wife's wireless connection took mere minutes to get running...mine took about an hour. It may have been where I was physically located, or it may be the fact that my wireless router is an 802.11b router. I was frustrated for a bit until I finally got connected.

The fact that similar tasks are grouped together may be a good idea later on when I am more used to the system, but for now it is a burden. I am used to things being in specific places, and they are not where they used to be. Chalk this up to a lack of experience on my part.

The lack of knowing how-to" is a key limiting factor in the Vista experience. I need to be able to VPN and Remote Desktop to my work PC. I am assuming that this is possible because I can set up a VPN and there is Remote Desktop capability in this version of Vista, but I am at a loss trying to get it to work Like I am used to, or at all.

All in all I believe that my first impressions and experience with this version of Vista have met if not exceeded some expectations. I am still not sure how or why people bash the OS so much. I may find that out in a few days or weeks. But until then, I am impressed with it.

More to come as the days go by...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hola

Mi nombre es Javier Polo Pérez y soy Ingeniero, y desde hace varios años me dedico a la Informática de Gestión. He desarrollado varias soluciones informáticas que en el Mundo Hispano han obtenido una buena acogida debido a sus prestaciones y fácil manejo, muchos ya las conocerán sus nombres son: Clinicas @Clinic @OdontoClinic @PsicoClinic @PodoClinic @FisioClinic Inmobiliarias InmoServer Facturacion ProServer @GesPYME Comunidades AdmiCom Veterinarias @VetGes Promocion GesProm Prevencion PrevGes Almacen @GeSTOCK Personal @GesRRHH Turismo @GesTUR

Me gustaría comentar que tras un año de pelea con Windows Vista intentando adaptar mis programas a dicho sistema operativo, lo cual he conseguido con mucho esfuerzo, finalmente he vuelto con mi Windosw XP, por tanto si lo que desean es un sistema operativo estable que no de ni un solo problema lo recomiendo.

Si desean ver mi trabajo y descargarse mis programas en forma gratuita pueden acceder a la web del Club ReM su dirección es www.clubrem.es o en www.e-rem.net

Un Saludo

Javier Polo

Make Money to Blog!