Google Search

Google
 

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

My Windows Vista Premium Review - Day 14


In the last two weeks I have used my copy of Windows Vista Premium, I have found several issues (some of which I am not sure if they are a Vista issue or a Dell issue) and I have also had much success with it.

The latest issues with Vista circle around iTunes. One of our laptops had iTunes installed, the DVD-RW stopped working (see last post - Day 7.) Once that was fixed via Dell, iTunes was upgraded via Apple updates...DVD-RW stopped working again!

This was frustrating and time consuming due to Dell's high volume Tech Support Que. Again, this problem was easily fixed by Dell and we were told not to update iTunes or any Apple product for right now.

I know this may not be a Vista issue, it could be an Apple issue or a Dell issue, but it is still fairly frustrating when trying to configure your system and every time you add a new software package, a hardware driver gets dropped.

I also noted that if I reboot my machine with an iPod plugged in via USB, the machine hangs and won't fully boot...Hmmm. I am not a conspiracy theorist but, damn! That's' one hell of a coincidence!

The Good

  • Still pretty solid OS despite the issues had.
  • Issues can be fixed, albeit a slow process

The Bad

  • Issues require a tech support person to analyze and fix. They are "known" issues...I smell a patch coming.
  • Reboot issue with iPod is a weird one. Not very good design considering the iPod has been out for years! Still could be an Apple issue.
  • No Alt + Tab to get the angled 3D view. I read it was available on Vista premium...guess not.
  • Security warnings are getting pretty damn annoying right about now!

All-in-All Score: 2.5

No comments:

Make Money to Blog!